Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Post #8

Since we have spent our last few weeks focusing more on projects than on the readings, I thought that it would be appropriate to write my final blog entry about the projects. I loved this assignment; it really provided a great deal of freedom for everyone in the class to explore their own unique interests. Also, because the projects are presented, the whole class is able to see what subjects other students chose, and in what medium they chose to present their information. Moreover, the entire class gets to learn from each individual’s research. Class has been very engaging these past couple of weeks as a result of these project presentations.

Another great aspect of this project was the multimedia requirement. While I do enjoy writing papers in moderation, it can definitely become overwhelming, especially at this time of the semester. I did my project on traditional Cowichan knitted sweaters, so it seemed only logical that I should attempt to create one myself. Having the freedom to do a project in the medium of knitting as opposed to the written word was very liberating to me, especially in an English class. Because I enjoy knitting and am already a fairly proficient knitter my project, even though it did take a fair few hours to complete, was actually fun and relaxing to make, instead of stressful and worrisome like a paper or other project with strict guidelines likely would have been. This final project has been very educational, and has been a fun and rewarding conclusion to this class—I thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 comment:

  1. Your sweater was quite the hit when my son had it on his stuffed bunny at the UI powwow last weekend - everyone totally loved it!!! The elders were marveling at the expert stitching and loved your design on the back:)

    ReplyDelete